I have further updated my Top 250 list with a lot of cool features. The main improvement is daily updating of ratings and votes, and the automatic insertion of any new movies that enter the top 250.
A brief explanation on headings:
- Rank – the rank of the movie sorted by weighted and then average rating, similar to the actual IMDB top 250 rank
- Rating – the IMDB weighted rating, pulled from each movie page so only available to 1 decimal place (for now)
- Title – the movie’s title, if title was in quotes these have been removed
- Year – the movies year
- Votes – the total number of votes
- Average – the movies average rating, calculated from the movies ratings page
- Year in Top 250 – the last year the movie was seen in the Top 250, pre 2008 data was pulled from the Internet Archive
- Actual – the actual IMDB top 250 rating, useful to filter only movies in the actual IMDB top 250
Credit to daemach for his tableFilter app used to produce the fancy sort and filters.
I like the IMDb Top 250 list as it lets me know about movies I would normally never hear about. The problem though, is that a lot of the movies get pushed off the list by newer movies, and unfortunately you may never get to hear about them again.
Hence, I present the IMDb Top 250 movies extended list, a collection of all the IMDb Top 250 movies from October 2000 to the 8th August 2008.
This list was made by downloading all the archived Top 250 lists on the Internet Archive. Once all the movie titles were extracted, I extracted current ratings and votes for the individual movie titles. The movie titles were sorted by rating producing the list.
This list is not a definitive list, and doesn’t include all the movies after number 250. I do wish IMDb did have this feature. Furthermore, this list is not updated in real time, and hence the list is already outdated.
However, this list does provide movies that may be worth enjoying during the next rainy day in.
IMDb Top 250 movies extended