Having recently passed my PMI PMP exam on the first try, I thought I would share my thoughts on how to also pass the PMP exam.
The resources I used were quite limited.
- PMBOK – I read through once very early on when I was completing the 36 hours of coursework and never used it again.
- PMP Exam Prep by Rita Mulcahy, was a key resource, and I’ll explain more on that shortly.
- The PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try by Andy Crowe, another key resource and very easy to read.
- Head First PMP, Book by Andrew Stellman, an online recommendation with the other two resources, but I didn’t like the graphic format and didn’t get through the first chapter.
- PMI PMP Exam Prep by Pocket Prep, Inc. android app, I used this more as a motivational tool and training reminders.
The PMP questions are all situational, and in my opinion the practise questions in the above resources a lot easier.
- Plenty of network diagrams which were easy marks
- Plenty of basic Earned Value questions, like given PV, EV and AC, what is the status of schedule and budget.
- No ethics questions.
- A lot of change control management questions.
Instead of memorising the process group and knowledge area map, I should have been memorising Rita Mulcahy’s process diagram. These would have helped significantly in the situation, especially for the planning domain which I was Moderately Proficient.