I recently purchased a HP MicroServer N40L and half-height Gigabit Radeon HD 6450, after installing Windows 8 I noticed that a third from the screen was a flickering white horizontal line, noticeable when playing movies in full screen or moving the mouse around the right start bar.
The problem doesn’t lie with the MicroServer of Windows 8 (or even your monitor), it is the Gigabit Radeon HD 6450 at fault here. Luckily, there is a relatively easy fix, a BIOS update.
- Download Easy Boost (about half way down the page)
- Download the Easy Boost manual
- Install Easy Boost
- Follow the “VBIOS backup” procedure, you will also find your BIOS type either F1# or F2#, mine was F21
- Download the correct BIOS (F11 if you have F1# or F22 if you have F2#), you can also see the BIOS offers “Fixed screen flicker problem”
- Follow the “Flash VBIOS” procedure.
Thanks to this RedFlagDeals post for the procedure.